Senior Construction Manager – Bridges & Major Structures
Reporting to the Senior Project Manager you will collaboratively lead and manage the Bridges and Major Structures works of a major highway scheme within the project limits; monitoring the performance of main contractor’s delivery project team, external specialist contractors and design consultants.
Support adherence to health and safety standards across the supply chain through the exhibition of exemplar behavioural standards to ensure successful delivery of agreed project outcomes whilst acting in line with mandatory and delegated responsibilities.
Day to Day:
• Monitoring progress and providing regular updates to the Senior Project Manager and when required, the project Senior Leadership Team
• Assessing performance against schedule and providing necessary assistance to the Senior Project Manager for approving schedule updates from the delivery partner
• Assessing Compensation Events and supporting Package Managers in providing timely responses.
• Provide all necessary information to the Senior Project Manager for issuing early warning.
• Daily management and overseeing site activities in co-operation with the main contractors delivery team management
• Undertaking, documenting and following up on site safety tours
• Provide assistance to Senior Project Manager in assessing and reviewing performance against project KPIs
• Identifying and escalating where required to the Senior Project Manager any potential technical and commercial risks on site.
• In conjunction with the NEC Supervisor ensure inspection and test plans are completed and works have been constructed to the correct specification.
• Manage, lead and motivate package managers to ensure effective performance is delivered on the project and to support their personal development.
• Manage, lead and motivate the external delivery partners and consultants; oversee their delivery and hold them to account, to ensure timely delivery, value for money and adherence to Highways England expectations.
• Promote continuous improvement and innovation across the portfolio to ensure that work is conducted in manner that takes into consideration wider stakeholders, political nuance and the long-term strategic aims of Highways England.
About the candidate:
• Extensive experience of leading people and teams to successful delivery of a programme of complex, high risk projects, and/or high profile change programmes.
• Extensive track record of managing complex relationships with multiple stakeholders and evidence of skills to influence relationships for positive outcomes.
• Demonstrate experience as mentor and/or coach to develop project management talent, skills and competence within a complex project environment
• Has experience operating within complex matrix organisations
• Strong evidence of commercial skills with proven ability to negotiate and manage contracts to deliver outcomes and drive value for money
• Track record as mentor and/or coach to develop project management talent, skills and competence within a complex project environment
• Evidence of leadership on safety standards and their implementation within multiple team reporting structures within a complex projects environment.
• Demonstrable experience of the requirements of managing NEC3 Option C contracts to deliver required outcomes and drive efficient delivery through risk reduction.
• Awareness of BIM in construction
• BSc in Civil Engineering or equivalent
• CEng or equivalent
• MICE or equivalent