Commercial Manager (Build)
Full Time – Permanent
£70,000 + COMPANY CAR + FUEL CARD + PRIVATE HEALTHCARE + PENSION
Immediate Start Date
My client is a tier 1 national contractor looking for an experienced degree qualified site manager. Projects are mainly industrial warehouses ranging from £10million to £20million. The contractor is currently turning over £500million a year with the ambition to grow this within the next year.
• Ensure that a Robust Commercial Strategy (i.e set up MPR, review VE possibilities) and Framework for the project is agreed with the Project Team and manage and monitor the effectiveness of this with the Project Team in conjunction with the Contracts Manager. Report as required to the Regional Commercial Manager and Construction Director.
• Ensure that the necessary systems are set up to efficiently file and retrieve information and allow others to do likewise and that old project material is archived on completion.
• Carry out all HR related approvals for subordinate staff including (but not limited to) Leave Requests, Training Requests, Expense Claims and Timesheets.
• Manage, mentor and develop subordinate Commercial Staff on the projects including the identification of training and coaching requirements for each individual.
• Complete individuals PPR’s for Project Teams.
• Oversee and in some cases, manage hands on, all aspects of Subcontractor & Consultant accounts including ensuring the issue of the required notices in a timely manner and always in accordance with the sub-contract / Appointment
• Including the necessary/relevant approval of all payments, orders and variations orders within the Xpedeon software in accordance with the latest published version of the Authority Matrix.
• Oversee and in some cases, manage hands on, the effective and timely preparation and submission of interim valuations and final accounts. Both Main Contract and Subcontractors.
• Oversee and in some cases, manage hands on, the Projects Cash flow and income ensuring positive cash position. Monitor and actively chase cash receipts where appropriate.
• Manage and monitor the timely procurement of sub-contractors and all associated notices and contract documentation.
• With the Contract’s Manager ensure that all reported Defects are rectified promptly and ensure timely release of the appropriate Rectification Certificate. Including the issue of necessary invoices for Retention release and ensuring prompt cash receipt from clients.
• Ensure the Project Team comply with the Authority Matrix and undertake the required approval process, detailed in same.
• Manage and Monitor SPAF completion and content, check for completeness and ensure the successful, accurate and robust sub-contract formation.
• Ensure that the goal of 90/30 procurement is achieved on the Projects.
• Check the Content and Completion of Subcontract Documents & Consultant Appointments prior to issue and upon return and ensure the timely execution of the same.
• Review and make recommendations in respect of any proposed amendments to the Subcontract Documents in accordance with the Authority Matrix.
• Check the Content and Completion of Subcontract Warranties prior to issue and upon return and ensure the timely execution of the same.
• Management of the project MPR on an Event by Event basis and ensuring the accurate and timely submission of the same ahead of MPR Meetings (including materials and plant etc reconciliations). Review with the Project Team and Contracts Manager prior to submission to the RCM and CD. Including review of monthly project cost allocations (incl. staff costs)
• Ensure that the monthly current position of the MPR is accurate by monitoring the true value and actual cost to date, as opposed to certified values. Review Internal valuations and cost accruals ensuring clear understanding with regard to liabilities and over and under value positions.
• Ensure that any Project specific commercial issues are reviewed and raised with the Client in a timely and correct contractual manner, always in accordance with the Authority Matrix.
• Undertake required Client liaison with regard the projects progression, any issues and future opportunities.
• Ensure the timely and accurate submission of variations. Monitor the Clients Account to identify risk and opportunities. Assist the team to prepare mitigation strategies and strategy to maximise opportunity.
• Complete and monitor of the Contractual Rights and Obligations Summary, including bonds and insurance requirements etc and ensure complete understanding within the project team
• Following the Completion of the Contractual Rights and Obligations Summary have a working understanding of all aspects of the conditions, particularly relating to
o Obligations of parties to the contract, notices, EOT etc.
o Valuations of variations
o Payment/final account
o Discrepancy and divergence process
• Assist in the identification of Risk and Opportunities with the Project Team and monitor the progression and implementation of same. Assist in the Completion of the Risk and Opportunity Schedule and monitor effectively.
• Work with the project operational staff to ensure that the profitable and commercial aspects of site decisions are understood.
• Support the Project Team with the Contracts Manager in jointly ensuring the working environment is that of trust, integrity, motivation and enjoyment.
• In conjunction with the Contract Manager, influence and support the Project Team in all aspects of the project in particular relation to Risk, Opportunity Construction and Commercial Performance in alignment with the Companies objectives including the Always Safe Culture.
• Involvement as required to the Pre-Contract Stages of Projects with the Pre-Contract Department as and when required or requested by RCM.
To Discuss your next career move contact Harry Hartley on 0121 237 3700 or 07715 986 489